- If you’re looking for a high-end phone, the Samsung Galaxy Note5 with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 should definitely be in consideration. With a sleek design, high-end hardware, luminous screen and amazing camera, the Galaxy Note5 has a ton to offer.
Design of Galaxy Note5
The Galaxy Note5 looks chic, slim and sophisticated. Its aluminum frame design, and glass used on the front and back, make it look and feel like a luxury device. Another striking aesthetic feature of the device is its rounded rear edges. The bezels surrounding the display are extremely narrow and graceful. The design is stunning.
|BODY||Dimensions||153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6 mm (6.03 x 3.00 x 0.30 in)|
|Weight||171 g (6.03 oz)|
The Galaxy Note5 has an adaptive 5.7″ Quad HD Super AMOLED 2560×1440 resolution display that adjusts to any light, making images really come to life. With the face of the screen made of Gorilla Glass 4, the focus is on improving damage resistance against sharp contact, such as a drop on asphalt, concrete, and other rough surfaces. I really like that the Galaxy Note5 is small and light enough to fit in my pocket but has a large display screen making it easier to read.
|DISPLAY||Type||Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||5.7 inches (~75.9% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||1440 x 2560 pixels (~518 ppi pixel density)|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass 4|
As a ski instructor, I have found photo and video analysis is a fun and powerful tool for evaluating and improving ski technique. For both the camera and video functions, the Galaxy Note5 has professional and automatic settings as well as a simple to use light adjuster whose purpose is similar to increasing or decreasing the aperture in a professional camera. This makes it possible to take great pictures and video in pretty much any lighting conditions. Perfect for me on those low-light days or days with light snowfall. The Note5 also has optical image stabilization (OIS), which keeps my cold shaking hands from blurring shots. Check out my daughter in a full tuck at the end of her U10 race.
There’s also auto-HDR right on the screen (this helps keep photos looking true to life) and panorama and selective focus as separate modes within. This phone lets you record in 4k/UHD for ultra sharp footage. The rear-facing camera works at 16MP/F1.9, Smart OIS/VDIS with auto real-time HDR ability. The front-facing camera works at 5MP/F1.9, VDIS120 degree Wide Angle with the same auto real-time HDR ability. It really takes beautiful shots. Check out my perfect shot of my daughter’s and their medals!
Lastly, the Galaxy Note 5’s built-in picture editor is super robust. It is basically like Photoshop-light, with the ability to very easily enlarge eyes, brighten face, slim face, correct red eye along with dozens of other lighting and mood filters. Very Cool.
|CAMERA||Primary||16 MP, f/1.9, 28mm, OIS, autofocus, LED flash|
|Features||1/2.6″ sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile detection, panorama, HDR|
|Video||2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, dual-video rec.|
|Secondary||5 MP, f/1.9, 22mm, 1440p@30fps, dual video call, Auto HDR|
Gorilla Glass 4 is the toughest cover glass yet. This is a key feature for a professional ski instructor. Of note, Gorilla Glass 4 performs up to 2x better than competitive glass designs in devices in drop tests from 3 feet high and was up to 2x tougher than competitive glass designs.
Know what else is tough? Extreme temperatures! Here is a video of me throwing boiling water into the air during the Polar Vortex! It just evaporated! The temperature felt like -34 F! I think it’s awesome that the Galaxy Note5 phone worked in such extreme temps.
Key Features that I love:
- The Galaxy Note5’s HDR mode does a great job of brightening pictures without going overboard, I normally leave “auto HDR” on in most situations.
- The camera can also handle 4K video recording, but it’s turned off by default due to the fact that it also disables many of Samsung’s more advanced camera features.
- There is a slow motion feature (I found this to be a great way to analyze turns and pole plants)
- Fun “wide selfie” mode for big group shots or great panoramic scenes with the front-facing camera.
- Using the stylus is super easy, and the battery life is outstanding.
- Scratch resistance
Samsung has a pretty self-explanatory setup process right out of the box with the Galaxy Note5. During setup you’ll be able to do usual things like get connected to Wifi, add your Google Account and restore your apps. I transferred my contacts, photos, videos over with ease from my IOS device and I don’t consider myself all that tech savvy.
Hacks and Tricks
Music organizing software such as Apple’s iTunes allows music lovers to sync their music with their various mobile devices. iTunes, in particular, makes it very easy for you to sync your media files to your other Apple devices. But the problem here is that transferring your songs from this service to Android devices isn’t always straightforward, while possible. I found doubleTwist to be relatively easy to use.
Most importantly you can transfer your contacts in a couple of simple easy steps. Samsung Smart Switch™ seamlessly transfers contacts, photos, music, videos, messages, notes, calendars and more to virtually any Samsung Galaxy device. It was super easy to use and alleviated a ton of my fears when I was making the switch over from my other device.
I can say that I recommend the Galaxy Note5 with Gorilla Glass 4 without reservation. I really love my new phone and I am thrilled to have tried and found a new phone that has so many wonderful features and is so easy to use. Great job Samsung! Great Job Corning Gorilla Glass!
Given how much I love the Galaxy Note 5 with Gorilla Glass 4, I’m thrilled to announce that our partners at Corning Gorilla Glass are offering our members a chance to win one of their own.
- Follow @corninggorilla on Twitter
- Retweet a posted tweet that announces the Sweepstakes. Must contain #GorillaGlass4 and #sweeps. There will be a new post to retweet each week.
- Earn one entry for each retweet posted provided you have already followed @corninggorilla on Twitter
Read full sweepstakes rules here.
One last gratuitous shot of our dog Matilda utilizing that fantastic s-pen!
Samsung Galaxy Note5 N920V 32GB (Verizon/GSM Unlocked) - Gold Platinum (CPO)
- Internal Memory: 32GB, 4GB RAM (memory not expandable)
- Compatible with Verizon Wireless and is also Unlocked for all GSM carriers (like ATT and T-Mobile). 4G LTE is carrier-dependent.
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen
- Android OS, Octa-Core CPU: Quad-Core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 Quad-Core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 Processor
- 16 Megapixel Camera (5312 x 2988 pixels) Front-facing 5 Megapixel Camera w/ Optical Stabilization
Samsung Galaxy Note8 (US Version) Factory Unlocked Phone - 6.3" Screen - 64GB - Orchid Gray (U.S. Warranty)
8 used from $ 637.49
- 6.3" Dual edge super AMOLED Quad HD+ display
- 64GB memory with removable Micro SD slot (up to 256GB), 6GB RAM
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual 12MP rear camera's with OIS. 8MP front Camera with auto focus
- Built in S-pen
Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime (32GB) G610F/DS - 5.5" Dual SIM Unlocked Phone with Finger Print Sensor (Gold)
1 used from $ 185.00
- 5.5-inch Full HD 1080 x 1920 pixels (~401 ppi pixel density) IPS LCD
- 32 GB ROM, 3 GB RAM, microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot), Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, Finger Print Scanner, All Metal Body
- 13 MP Main Camera f/1.9, 28mm, 8MP Front Camera w/ Flash, Exynos 7870 Octa-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A53
- 3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100, 4G LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) - 3G/4G H+ in US only.
- International model phone, will work with Most GSM SIM cards in U.S. and world Including AT&T, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, Etc. Does not have US warranty. Will NOT work with CDMA Carriers Such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost.
Samsung S7 EDGE G935V 32GB, Verizon/GSM Unlocked, Silver Titanium (Certified Refurbished)
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Brand: Samsung
- Model: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro (32GB) J730G/DS - 5.5" Full HD Dual SIM Unlocked Phone with Finger Print Sensor (US & Latin 4G LTE) (Pink)
- 5.5 inch Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels (~401 ppi pixel density) Super AMOLED, Android 7.0 Nougat, IP54 certified - dust and splash resistant
- 32GB ROM, 3GB RAM, microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot), Finger Print Scanner, All Metal Body, 3,600 mAh Built-In Battery
- 13 MP, f/1.7, autofocus, LED flash, 13MP Front Camera, Exynos 7870 Octa-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A53
- 3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100, 4G LTE band B1 (2100), B2 (1900), B3 (1800), B4 (AWS), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B8 (900), B17 (700), B20 (800), B28 (700), B66 (AWS-3) - Compatible with Most GSM SIM Card Carriers
- Dual SIM International model phone, Does NOT have US warranty. Will work with Most GSM SIM cards in U.S. and world Including AT&T, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, Etc. Will NOT work with CDMA Carriers Such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost.
Samsung SM-G900V - Galaxy S5 - 16GB Android Smartphone Verizon - Black (Certified Refurbished)
- 5.1-inch Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution w/ Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Android v4.4 KitKat, Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801, Processor: Quad-Core 2.5 GHz Krait 400, GPU: Adreno 330
- 16 Megapixel Camera with Phase Detection Autofocus, f/2.2, 31mm, 1/2.6" Sensor Size + 2 Megapixel Front Camera with f/2.4, 22mm lens, 1080p @ 30fps
- Internal Memory: 16GB, 2GB RAM - microSD Up to 256GB