Not much about housework is glamorous. Cleaning your carpets is the worst job ever but keeping your home safe and clean is about more than mere aesthetics. Sure, a tidy home looks nice, but more importantly, a tidy home is healthy. Germs, bacteria and mould can fester in unhygienic spaces, and unfortunately, even areas we think are clean often aren’t.
Cleaning Your Carpets
While most of us thoroughly and regularly wash dishes, scrub toilets and mop tiles, it’s all-too-easy to forget about the less obvious hot-spots for germs and grime — and carpets are one of the worst. In fact, carpets are on average more dirty than toilet seats! Yes, you read that right. In fact, rugs and carpets are about 4,000 times more filthy than your toilet, containing 200,000 bacteria per square inch.
The pile on your carpets and rugs can be home to dangerous bacterial like e-coli, listeria and salmonella. That’s more than gross: it’s dangerous. These microscopic organisms can make your family sick, or worse.
Then there’s the dust.
A little bit of dust doesn’t bother most of us, but for people with allergies or breathing problems (like asthma), the dust trapped deep in the pile of your rugs, carpet, upholstery and mattresses could be causing major respiratory issues.
One of the easiest and most effective ways to keep your home clean is by regularly cleaning your carpets.
Vacuuming alone won’t do
Vacuuming is effective at removing loose dirt, but it is not so good at deep cleaning or removing harmful environmental or biological aggressors. This is why carpet cleaning is a non-negotiable part of household hygiene.
While spot cleaning will remove spills and stains, there’s a whole world of dirt you can’t see — and it’s what you can’t see that can hurt you and the people you love.
How often should you have your carpets cleaned?
Every six months: that’s the easy answer. However, high-traffic areas may need it more, especially if you have pets and/or people in your home with severe allergies.
On the other hand, if you have a room in your home (like a guest room) that is hardly ever used, you can get away with cleaning the carpets or rugs less frequently, about once a year.
As with most matters of cleanliness, the best defense is a good offense. Dirt and germs will happen, but to avoid really amassing a colony of grossness in you pile, don’t wear outdoor shoes in your home, properly clean spills as soon as they happen, and if your child or pet has an accident, treat it thoroughly and aggressively straight away. Of course, you should also regularly clean your carpet.
BISSELL Professional Power Shot Oxy Carpet Spot and Stain Remover, 14 ounces, 95C9
- Patented odor removal technology removes tough odors like smoke, mold, mildew, pet, and kitchen
- Protects carpet from future stains
- Non-aerosol continuous spray works in any direction
- Uses oxygen technology to remove tough set-in stains all the way to the backing
Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150
4 used from $ 102.94
- Lightweight weighs less than 19 pounds. 8-Feet Ready-To-Use Hose and Upholstery Tool to deep clean stairs and hard-to-reach areas
- Easy to Fill, Empty & Clean with Smart Tank system making emptying and filling easy with no mess, no tools and no waste of time. The recovery tank comes with a quick pour spout
- SpinScrub Technology - 360 degree cleaning surrounding carpet fibers. Counter rotating brushes spin, not roll, for constant carpet contact. Brushes are removable for easy cleaning
- DualV Nozzle provides equal suction to clean surfaces quickly and evenly. Fast Dry Time with forced heated air
- 4 Easy To Access Handles allows for easy transport with 4 different choices of handles located on the unit
BISSELL PowerLifter PowerBrush Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1622
2 used from $ 71.28
- Full-Size Carpet Cleaner with 4-row dual rotating Dirt Lifter Power Brushes
- The rotating brush scrubs and lifts away dirt and stains that a vacuum can't get
- 2-in-1 water tank for easy filling and easy emptying;Cleaning Path Width: 11inches
- Removes deep-down dirt and stains using hot tap water and carpet formula
- Includes a removable nozzle, lint screen, built in measuring cup, 8 oz. trial sized formula and a 1-Year Warranty
Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner - Corded
2 used from $ 116.10
- Professional Spot Cleaner removes tough spots and stains from carpet, stairs, upholstery and more
- 5 flex hose helps to clean spots and stains in hard to reach areas including stairs, upholstery, and area rugs
- Includes 6 stair tool, 3 tough stain tool and 8oz Professional Deep Cleaning formula
- Long reach 22 power cord
- 2 year limited warranty.Weight:13.2 lbs
Carbona 2-In-1 Upholstery And Carpet Cleaner, 27.5 Fl Oz
- It has an oxy-powered formula and built-in brush applicator that gets right in to get stains right out
- Product Size - 27.5 Fl Oz (813.2 mL)
Bissell Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Full Size Upright Carpet Cleaner
3 used from $ 81.68
- Bissell lightest upright carpet cleaner, at 12 lb., is easy to maneuver and carry
- Great for removing tracked-in dirt and stains from Area rugs and entryways
- 4-Row rotating dirt lifter power brush combined with powerful suction to loosen and remove dirt
- Powerful Bissell oxy-based Formula removes stains like coffee, wine, grape juice, and pet stains
- Convenient, collapsible handle for easy storing
Folex Carpet Spot Remover, 32 oz
- Folex Carpet Spot Remover, 32 oz
Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner
2 used from $ 61.24
- Remove pet stains anywhere, anytime
- Spray, scrub, and suction to remove pet stains and messes from carpet, upholstery, stairs, Area rugs, auto interiors, and more
- Grab-and-go cordless convenience; enjoy the freedom of a lithium-powered, handheld carpet cleaner that lifts away stains using Formula and powerful suction
- Ready-to-use formula-no mixing with water. Formula conveniently stores in the machine so it's always ready for use
- Instantly and permanently removes stains like urine, feces, vomit, dirt, mud, Blood, grass, tomato sauce, red wine, makeup, food grease, Vegetable oil, coffee, Cola, motor oil, and more
Hoover FH50251PC Power Scrub Elite Pet Carpet Cleaner
- Deep Clean Mode powerfully removes embedded dirt and stains for whole home cleaning
- Quick Clean Mode with HeatForce speeds up drying to allow carpets to dry in less than 45 minutes getting you back on your floors faster
- Antimicrobial SpinScrub Brush System helps prevent odors and bacteria from forming in the tool while tackling the toughest pet messes
- Rinse Mode allows you to wash your carpets with soap and water and then rinse with water only to remove soap residue with the flip of a switch
- 25 percent larger tank capacity so you don't have to refill and empty tanks as often
Carbona Oxy-Powered 2-in-1 Carpet Cleaner, 27.5 Ounces - Pack of 2
- 27.5 Oz - Pack of 2
- Eliminates odors and leaves treated sanitary which will discourage repeated pet accidents
- Dual purpose carpet and upholstery cleaner featuring a built-in brush head