If you’ve never tried homemade kale chips…frankly, I’m a little surprised. It’s taken the health world by storm, and for good reason. They call it a “super food,” and with a little research, it’s easy to see why. According to Web MD, the health benefits of kale are numerous. It has a surprising amount of protein for a leafy green, fiber, vitamins A, C, and K, and B vitamins that help with brain development.
Make Perfect Homemade Kale Chips
There are plenty of ways to eat kale, but one of the most popular is in the form of kale chips. You can buy them at the store, but they’re often deep-fried and higher in calories than the super easy baked version you can make at home. They are also MUCH more expensive than making them at home; I recently saw a package 6 oz for $8. Yikes! When you do it right, the kale chips are crispy and delicious, just like potato chips, but miles better for you.
If you’ve never bought a bunch of kale from the grocery store or even thought about baking it, don’t worry. We’ll guide you through the process, step by easy step. Soon, you’ll have delicious, healthy homemade kale chips that you can snack on with absolutely no guilt.
Step 1 Acquire some kale.
With its rise in popularity, you can bet that your favorite grocery store will have at least one type of kale, but more likely several. For chips you can use Lacinato, otherwise known as Tuscan kale, or curly kale which you’ll be able to tell because of its tight curly leaves. Either one will work just fine. Pick a bunch with dark, crisp leaves.
Step 2 Prepare the kale for baking.
Wash the kale and then lay the leaves out and dry them by patting them down with paper towels. After that, separate the leaves from the thick, tough stalks with a knife or a pair of kitchen shears. The stalks are very bitter, so go ahead and toss those. The leaves that you separate from them, you should cut into smaller, bite size pieces.
Step 3 Season to your liking.
You can dress these bad boys any way you want, but almost every recipe will have you start by lightly tossing the leaves in olive oil to get them evenly coated. Then, toss in a little salt and pepper, or garlic salt and whatever else you want to flavor the chips with. It’s up to you! If you’re ever short on ideas, there are thousands of recipes online to give you seasoning inspiration.
Step 4 Pop them in the oven.
Spread the coated and seasoned pieces into a single, even layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 300 degree oven for 8-12 minutes. Watch the kale carefully though, because it’s easy to burn! Once the kale is crisp and rigid, it’s done.
Step 5 Enjoy!
Once those bad boys are out of the oven, you can start to enjoy them immediately. They’re pretty addictive, but it’s okay because as far as crunchy snacks go, they’re very good for you.
For a crispy, guilt-free snack, homemade kale chips are the way to go. This super food comes with a myriad of benefits for your mind and body, but it also tastes so good, you have to wonder if there’s a catch… Bake up your first batch of homemade kale chips today and get ready to enjoy the taste and the health benefits.
How to Store Homemade Kale Chips
Kale chips are a healthy, delicious snack. However, they’re infamously tough to store. Keeping them crispy starts before you even prepare them. Start by drying your leaves completely before cooking them. If you want to add flavor, toss smaller servings with extra ingredients and keep the rest of the batch plain. Let your chips cool to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container. Adding uncooked rice can help!
SOURCES: Web MD
The 8 Best Dehydrators for Making Kale Chips
Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator, White - MADE IN USA
4 used from $ 50.00
- Adjustable thermostat allows you to dry different foods at proper temperatures (95º-160º F)
- Powerful Top Mounted Fan. 600 watts of drying power.
- Comes with 5 trays, but is expandable to 12 trays. (Trays are 13 1/2" in diameter)
- Opaque Vita-Save exterior helps block harmful light which destroys nutritional content of food being dehydrated
- Patented Converga-Flow drying system forces air down the exterior pressurized chamber (not through the trays). The hot air is forced horizontally across each individual tray, converging on the core for fast, even and nutritious drying. No flavor mixing and no need to rotate trays
Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric Food Dehydrator
2 used from $ 49.83
- Six-tray system for dehydrating foods at a fraction of the cost of commercially dried foods with no additives or preservatives.
- Makes jerky from meat, poultry, and seafood includes sample packets of jerky spice and cure
- Digital thermostat and timer for precise drying time and temperature choose drying temperatures from 90 to 165 degree f
- The bottom-mounted fan and heating element provide consistant air flow for optimum drying No rotation needed
- Includes six drying trays (expands up to 12 trays), two fruit roll sheets, two nonstick mesh screens trays and cover are dishwasher safe
MAGIC MILL Food Dehydrator Bundle, 9 Stainless Steel Drying Racks, 8 Digital Preset Temperature Settings and Timer with Automatic Shutoff - 1 Fine Mesh Sheet, 2 Fruit Leather Trays, 1 Set Oven Mitts
- DIGITAL THERMOSTATE AND TIMER help you choose your desire temperature and time. Up to 19.5 hours dry time. Choose drying temperatures from 95º F to 158º F. Countdown timer.
- FUNCTION Rear-mounted fan is designed to promote even drying without overheating, and the adjustable thermostat with automatic shutoff ensures that foods are dehydrated at their optimal temperature and crispiness
- USAGE Perfect for dried fruit slices, long-lasting dried herbs, delicious beef Jerky and more. Also a perfect way to preserve foods. For a fraction the price of commercial.
- HEALTHY Enjoy the homemade easiest healthiest snacks, preserve foods, without additives, made with the BPA free machine
- 9 Stainless steel spacious, (13" X 12") adjustable drying racks, , to accommodate a wide variety of fruits, herbs, vegetables, and meats, great for large families, gardeners, sportsmen, outdoor hobbyists, health-conscious enthusiast, includes 2 silicone oven mitts
Hamilton Beach 32100A Food Dehydrator, Gray
1 used from $ 43.27
- 48 hour timer with auto shutoff and clear lid so you can easily check food
- Adjustable digital thermostat lets you adjust drying temperature (100-160° F)
- Continuous airflow provides even drying
- Five stackable drying trays and powerful 500 watts
- Includes one fine-mesh sheet for drying small food like herbs and one solid sheet for making fruit rolls
Gourmia GFD1650 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator Drying Shelves Digital Thermostat 8 Preset Temperature Settings Airflow Circulation Countdown Timer Free Recipe Book Included Black 110V
- Easy, Healthy and economical way to make delicious fruit snacks, vegetables, herbs and beef jerky at home. Also a perfect way to preserve foods, with no additives or preservatives.
- Digital thermostat and timer for precise drying time and temperature. Up to 19.5 dry time in precision 30 minutes increments. Choose drying temperatures from 95º F (35C) To 158º F (70C).
- Cuircusmart 360 Air Flow Circulation Technology dries all trays evenly without noisy & the need to rotate the shelves.
- 6 capacious 6.5 square feet drying space (13" X 12") Adjustable Drying Shelves to contain Meat, Fish, Poultry, Beef, Fruits and Vegetables, Herbs and Spices, Trail mix, Snacks and more. Supports up to 1lb of food on each level.
- Includes 1 mesh sheet, 1 solid sheet, and a user guide. Colors: Black, White. 400 Watt.
Chefman Food Dehydrator Machine Professional Electric Multi-Tier Food Preserver, Meat or Beef Jerky Maker, Fruit & Vegetable Dryer with 9 Slide Out Trays & Transparent Door - RJ43-SQ-9
7 used from $ 102.75
- MULTI CHOICE: The Chefman dehydrator includes 9 spacious (13"x12") adjustable BPA free plastic trays, so you can create different types of dehydrated foods in one convenient batch at a fraction of the cost of commercially dried foods.
- DIGITAL TOUCH SETTINGS: Digital temperatures preset settings ranging from 95º F to 158º F, integrated with a countdown timer up to 19.5 hours, provides accurate drying times and temperatures to make it super easy for you to start creating delicious dried fruit, herbs or meat.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: The Chefman 600W Food Dehydrator has a built in innovated design that maximizes airflow that results in an even drying without overheating ensuring the perfect dried fruit slices, long-lasting dried herbs, delicious beef jerky and more.
- TRANSPARENT DOOR: The process of drying can be observed without opening the door, designed with a clear door that allows you to monitor the progress of drying meat beef jerky, fruit slices, sweet potato and vegetables, or any other dried food snack.
- EXPERIENCE CLUB CHEFMAN: Includes access to Club Chefman for recipes, videos, help from a Chef, cookbooks and more! SAFE & SECURE 1 YEAR WARRANTY: cETL approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability and hassle-free warranty backed by Chefman
Cuisinart DHR-20 Food Dehydrator, Steel Gray
- Dries a wide variety of foods including meats, herbs, fruits, vegetables and more
- Preserves foods naturally, with no additives or preservatives
- Adjustable temperature control: Fan Only, Low, Medium and High
- Powerful 620-watt motorized fan with top vent for fast, even drying
- Additional trays available; stack up to 9 at a time
Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
4 used from $ 31.56
- Four-tray system for dehydrating foods at a fraction of the cost of commercially dehydrated foods with no additives or preservatives
- See-through cover to monitor drying progress on top tray; Bottom-mounted fan and heating element provide consistent air flow for optimum drying
- Drying trays and cover are fully immiscible and dishwasher safe; Fruit roll sheets, nonstick mesh screens, jerky gun and jerky spice kits available
- Easy to store; Drying trays nest for compact storage; Cord stores in base
- Four drying trays included; Expands up to eight trays for added capacity